BACK TO BLOG
What If Your Hearing Aid Gets Wet?
Posted by Theresa Shevetz, Au.D. on August 01, 2014
Today's hearing aids are so small and comfortable there's the danger that you actually might forget you're wearing them. So what should you do if you're near a pool this summer and your hearing aid gets wet? Here's our advice:
- Switch off your hearing aid immediately.
- Remove the battery from the hearing aid.
- Dry the instrument and battery with a clean cloth.
- Make sure the battery component is open and then gently shake the hearing aid to remove all possible water.
- Place your hearing aid on a newspaper to dry out in a warm area for several hours with the battery compartment open.
- Place the hearing aid in a desiccant container overnight.
Follow up with your hearing specialist to have the hearing instrument cleaned and inspected.
During warm humid days of summer, consider using an inexpensive drying container each night to keep moisture from collecting in the unit and ultimately damaging the electronic components.
Theresa Shevetz, Au.D.
Echo Hearing Systems & Audiology, Inc.